This easy taco soup with ranch is a recipe that was given to me by a coworker many years ago. I remember we had a potluck in the teacher’s lounge. As we all raved about her taco soup, our teacher friend was kind enough to offer to make us all copies of her recipe. I have that piece of paper saved in my recipe binder. It is so hearty, easy, and tasty that it is worth sharing here.
The great thing about this soup is that it can be made as an easy taco soup for the slow cooker or as an easy stovetop taco soup. It is also the kind of soup that some might refer to as a can taco soup or as a dump taco soup. You know what I mean – the kind where you open up a bunch of cans and dump them in. That’s a great description for this one, alright! And since I often prepare and freeze ground beef ahead of time to use in recipes, this truly is a dump and go recipe for me! Sometimes life really can be that easy!
Easy Taco Soup with Ranch for Slow Cooker
Follow the ingredient list below and all instructions, except you will combine all ingredients in a slow cooker rather than in a pot. Turn on low for about six hours, and dinner is ready!
Easy Taco Soup with Ranch for Stovetop
Follow the ingredient list and all instructions below. Be sure to have a bowl for me after you have
barely worked to prepare dinner.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 16 oz can pinto beans, drained
- 1 16 oz can dark kidney beans, drained
- 1 16 oz can red beans, drained
- 1 16 can whole kernal corn, drained
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 pkg. taco seasoning
- 1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
- 2 cups water
- In a large soup pot, cook meat and onions until browned.
- Drain the meat and return to the pot.
- Make sure all beans and corn are thoroughly drained and add all ingredients to the pot.
- Cover pot and simmer for about one hour.
- Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, black olives, cilantro or tortilla chips.
I sure hope you will give this easy taco soup with ranch a try! It will make my coworker proud! Be sure to try out some of our other family favorite soups – like our sausage and cheese tortellini soup or our chicken enchilada soup!