If you love an easy chili recipe, the gods of the Interwebs have landed you in the right place. This chili recipe can be made as a slow cooker chili (or Crock Pot Chili for those of you who call all slow cookers a Crock Pot…hehee). It can also be made as a stovetop chili in less than two hours – which is how I usually make it. This easy chili can be frozen to use on a hectic evening in the future.
I found this recipe around 10 years ago at allrecipes.com. I have since tweaked it a bit, but there really wasn’t much tweaking to do in all honesty. This easy chili recipe is perfect as a slow cooker chili or as a stovetop chili.
It’s funny how many different ways chili can be prepared, huh? There are basic chili recipes, spicy chili recipes, meatless chili recipes, beanless chili recipes, and tomato-y chili recipes. I would say this chili recipe is both spicy and tomato-y. The tomato juice added to the base really gives the chili a kick. It is the only chili I make anymore.
Admittedly, the chili didn’t win our neighborhood chili cook-off this last year, but I haven’t given up hope! I know a win is in the future for this yummy chili! We had around 12 entries, and they were all quite good. You can’t win them all!
It’s been in my editorial calendar to write a post on hosting a neighborhood chili cook off. It’s a lot of work, but it is so much to do! I’m always curious what other neighborhoods are doing to bring people together during the changing seasons. If you have any fun ideas, please pop them into the comments below!
Back to the chili…
Of course, like with any chili, the base can be changed up to reflect the ingredients you prefer. I love to make this easy chili recipe to serve with tamales, rice, or on top of Fritos for Frito chili pie. Of course, it’s great with a cornbread muffin on the side, too!
Not only is this an easy chili recipe, but it is a deee-lish easy chili recipe!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (29 oz) can tomato juice
- 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (15 oz) can light red kidney beans
- 1/8 tsp cayenned or red pepper
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin (or roasted cumin)
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- Stovetop Version: In large skillet, brown ground beef and onions and peppers.
- In a large soup pot, combine the beef, the tomato juice, tomato sauce, beans and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or so.
- Serve with Fritos, cornbread, rice, or tamales.
- Slow Cooker Version: In a large skillet, brown beef with onions and peppers.
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours.