Sometimes, you get a hankering for soup but don’t want the the typical chicken or beef. This creole sausage and shrimp soup brings the heartiness and warmth, but the spices and meat pairings bring a welcome change.
I first saw a sausage and shrimp stew a few years ago. I gave it a try, and loved the meat pairings, but I found the preparation of the roux and such to be a bit much for everyday meal preparation. Eventually, I changed things up to make my dish more of an easy soup -based on broth and spices with some vegetables and, of course, the sausage and shrimp.
We enjoy having our creole sausage and shrimp soup served over hot rice.
The somewhat sweet flavor of the Green Giant Southwestern corn really complements the spicy flavors of the rest of the soup.
You can add as much or as little broth to your bowl as you prefer. In these photos, I added very little broth because I wanted to mix the soup into the rice.
And there you have it! This is one soup we are always happy to see come back around on our meal rotation plan. Speaking of that plan, I’ve been meaning to blog about it. It is one that has actually worked somewhat well for us. And trust me – I’ve been through a few meal plans by now!
- 1 package Hillshire Farm beef sausage link
- 1 bag of frozen medium-sized shrimp, thawed with tails removed
- 1 can of Rotel with lime juice and chilis, undrained
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1 can kidney beans, dark or light, drained
- 1 bag of Green Giant Southwestern Blend Frozen Corn, steamed in microwave
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- Slice the sausage into one-inch rounds or into one-inch diagonal slices.
- Cut the tails off shrimp, if necessary.
- In a large skillet, heat sausage slices with the bell pepper and onion until the sausage is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Drain skillet if there is excessive oil. If you follow this step, return sausage and veggies to pan.
- Add all other ingredients except for shrimp to pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp.
- Cover pot and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes or until shrimp appear cooked through.
- Serve over hot rice.
Linking up this Creole Sausage and Shrimp Soup at the following link ups: