Oh, chicken tortilla soup! How you warm my soul.
If you know me, you know that Tex-Mex is pretty much my jam. I love to cook it. I love to eat it. Luckily, the Hubs and Scooter Britches see eye-to-eye with me on this one. We could probably eat Tex-Mex 4-5 nights a week.
Over the years, I have tweaked and played around with different recipes for chicken tortilla soup.
Once, after taking one version of my chicken tortilla soup to a work potluck, one of my coworkers made a negative comment about my soup, obviously unaware that I was the one who had made it. She went to scoop some out and commented that all the veggies and chicken were at the bottom and it was almost all broth. I was pretty irked. Who was she to critique my soup?
As much as I hate to admit it, she was right. There was a very poor broth-veggie ratio. So I tinkered around and around some more.
I finally came up with this one as my go-to recipe. It uses my Knorr Caldo de Tomate that I have raved about so many times, like here and here.
I start off by sauteeing about 1/2 cup onion and green bell pepper in a tablespoon of olive oil. While that is going, I make six cups of tomato broth using Caldo de Tomate. Once the broth boils, I add the sauteed onions and peppers, the precooked chicken. (Another thing you might have learned about me is that I do NOT like to mess around with raw meat when I get home from work. I slow cook or grill chicken on the weekends and keep the diced, cooked chicken in meal-size servings in the freezer.
Soon after, I add a can of corn, a can of spicy diced tomatoes, and two cans of kidney beans – one dark, one light. I turn down the heat and let this simmer for a bit on medium heat. After a few minutes, I add a few teaspoons of chipotle chili powder and roasted cumin.
I place the lid on the pot and allow the soup to simmer for about 30 minutes longer. When ready, I garnish the soup with cilantro, shredded cheese, diced avocado, and tortilla chips.
Perfectly spicy chicken tortilla soup! If you are a soup person, might I suggest my sausage and spinach tortellini soup. It is killer!
- 6 cups tomato broth, made from Knorr Caldo de Tomate
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can dark kidney beans, drained
- 1 can light kidney beans, drained
- 1 4 oz can diced chiles
- 1 can Rotel (with lime and chiles or fire-roasted)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chipotle chile powder (or regular chili powder)
- 1 tbsp roasted cumin (or regular cumin)
- Tortilla chips, crushed
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Boil six cups of water in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add 6 tsps Knorr Caldo de Tomate to boiling water and stir.
- In a separate skillet, sautee onions and bell peppers in small amount of olive oil.
- Add the chicken, the onions and peppers, all canned ingredients, and all spices to the boiling broth.
- Turn down heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with tortilla chips and shredded cheese.
Linking up this week with:
Tweak It Tuesday (Mondays)
Amaze Me Monday (Mondays)
Tips and Tricks Link Party (Mondays)